Zoom is an open and unrestricted tool for online meetings. This means you can invite anyone to join a meeting, whether they have a Zoom account or are a contact. Unlike Microsoft Teams, Zoom is not tied to domains or an Active Directory. But there must be a zoom meeting password.
With this open and non-restrictive model comes some issues, i.e. Zoom bombardment where people join a meeting with the intention of disrupting it. To counter this, Zoom has meeting password that control access and entry to a meeting.
Find Zoom Meeting Password
This is automatically generated for an ad-hoc or scheduled meeting. A host has the option of using a custom password or using one that was set by Zoom.
This password is included in the Zoom meeting link and invitation. Normally, when a user clicks on a meeting link, the password is entered automatically.
Zoom to the meeting password in the link
If you want to check if the meeting link you have also contains the password, you need to examine it carefully and understand the anatomy of the link.
Zoom meeting link example:
If you look closely at the link, you will find “pwd” after the ? symbol. Everything after the question mark is a string that encrypts the password. This link basically includes the password and clicking on it will take you into the meeting. However, you cannot copy and paste this as a password.
1. Find Zoom Meeting Password – Desktop/Web
The only other way to find the Zoom password is to ask the host. The host will be able to find and share the unencrypted password.
If the meeting has already started, you can find the meeting password by following these steps.
- Click on the Participants button.
- Click Invite in the panel that opens.
- Look at the bottom right and you will see the password.
If the meeting has been scheduled but hasn’t started yet, you can find the password by following these steps.
- Open Zoom and go to Meetings.
- Select the meeting and click Edit.
- On the edit screen, find the password field.
- Copy and share the password with guests.
2. Find Zoom Meeting Password – Mobile
On Zoom mobile apps, you can’t find the password for a meeting in progress, but you can find it for a scheduled meeting that hasn’t started yet.
- Open Zoom and go to the Meeting tab.
- Tap the meeting for which you want to find the password.
- Look for the Passcode field on the Meeting Details screen.
You must be careful with the password for a meeting. Never share it on an unsecured channel and never share it with anyone unless you know they are on the guest list.